From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:09:21 +0100
On Aug 08, 2008, at 5:47 pm, The Odd Doll wrote:

> I'm at a loss as to what to feed my kids for breakfast.

Hi Marianne

Have you checked that they are hungry at breakfast?  If not, they
don't need to eat then, and the problem doesn't exist.  Otherwise, if
they do want food that early...

> Neither of them will
> willingly eat eggs, although I can get them to.

The idea that we as wise adults know what food children should eat has
come about due to most of our neolithic food being disgusting to
children.  In order to avoid starvation due to children rejecting
everything, we've learnt to force feed them.  Children have been
through millions of years of evolution to gain the ability to self-
select the foods they should and should not be eating, and it's an
infinitely better system than anything a human being can devise.

> They will eat them hard-boiled,
> but only the yolks or the whites, depends upon which kid. They will
> also eat
> bacon or sausage, and again, depends upon which kid.

Simple answer - give the yolks and bacon to one, and the whites and
sausage to the other?  (Or whichever way round.)  Most sausage
contains flour - it might be a sign of wheat or gluten rejection.  I'm
surprised that one of them doesn't like bacon though.  Maybe they can
sense the preservatives or (less likely) prefer less salty food.

> I'm thinking that maybe if I could disguise the eggs or meat with
> other
> ingredients they might eat them. Does anybody have suggestions or
> recipes?

All this is doing is sneaking a potentially toxic food past their
taste defences.  If they don't want to eat something, it's almost
certainly bad for them.  (Unfortunately, because of artificially
refined sugar and other flavour-enhancing chemicals, it's not always
true that foods they do want to eat are good for them.)

I'm with Paula - foods should not be for specific times of day.  What
do they eat in the afternoon and evening?  They will be perfectly
happy eating that in the morning (again, assuming they want to eat at
all).

The sanest solution to the problem may just be to ask them what they
want.

This is just my opinion anyway.  I have no kids, but I remember what
it was like being fed as one.  (It was a miserable failure, I was
surrounded by adults that stopped me eating good food and forced junk
down me.  I still remember, when I was about 5, one of my teachers
used to get angry, because I ate too much salad and not enough beans
on toast.)

Ashley