From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:06:38 -0700
Todd Moody wrote:

> I agree, and there are probably genetic factors as well.  There
> are undoubtedly some people who do quite well on high-carb diets,
> even apart from these factors.  I think that the point that Allan
> and Lutz are making is that 72g/day is a point of diminishing
> returns for most people.  That is, further reduction in most
> cases doesn't accomplish much.  Obviously there are some whose
> experience may suggest otherwise.  And of course there can be
> confounding psychosomatic variables.  An interesting discussion
> of this is at
>
> http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/319/7205/304

I read this article, and felt somewhat like the researchers were
a hammer seeing only nails.  They had a few medical tests they
were using, and only a few ideas.  It is Very common in people with
gluten intolerance to get "leaky gut" and have reactions to many
foods, particularly non-gluten grains and dairy.  Since this is not a histamine
situation, food allergy testing is useless.  People with severe digestive
problems are not generally suffering a psychosomatic illness, and the
solution to their problems is not to boost their intake of carbohydrates.

My 2c worth, anyway.  Did anybody else get the same "take" on this
article?

Lynnet