From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:00:37 +0900
[[ In other words, as we pack our children
more and more with refined flours, sugar, soda pop, and french fries,
their percentage of body fat is higher at a younger age, setting off
puberty.  This would account for puberty in Japan coming earlier, also,
as they eat in a different pattern over there now than they did before
the War and so much Western influence and economic prosperity.  We know
they are taller now, so they may be "fatter" also.[[

This is what I don:t quite understand.  First, I thought it was common
knowledge that body fat was related to puberty onset.  Many researchers
point specifically to dairy products, in part because of the hormones
present in cows milk.  Japanese people still don:t do a lot of dairy.

But now I am confused.  I was not aware that onset was occuring earlier in
Japan.  It makes sense, based on the sugar intake, as diabetes is no longer
uncommon here either.  But what confuses me is that in fact the percentage
of body fat for women has gone DOWN over the last 30 years; but that of men
has gone up.

Compared to what years exactly people are taller on the average here I do
not know.  But it can:t be anything comparable to the average height of
Japanese Americans in the US after 3-4 generations, even assuming they marry
only their own ethnic background.

Judith