From:
Katie Bretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:56:36 -0800
> What I think is unhealthy is to promote grains, legumes and
>dairy as totally off limits for everybody
Oh, now, here we go....

I disagree, and  think the avoidance of grains is a needful thing, and of
legumes,a desirable thing. Certainly I have a personal motivation, as I
can't tolerate wheat or corn even in microscopic amounts, and the others
don't do so well for me either.  However,  having now gone without grains
and legumes at all for many months (because of intolerance), I have
observed how they displace other valuable carbs that we should be eating
-- nutrient-rich greens, roots, tubers, stemmy stuff, fruit ,and
nuts,even, that one eats more of when not wasting all those mostly empty
calories on grains.  This is plenty of reason to avoid grains and
legumes, even if you don't accept, as I do, that common grains contain
protiens that aren't so good for us.

I also noticed someone claiming that trichinosis was no longer an issue
with pork.  I don't think that is correct and would advise checking that
kind of information before acting on it.