From:
Katy & Ron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:03:10 -0500
Maybe you are right, Theola.  My chickens never get fat or thin.  My WILD
turkeys (raised them for 11 yrs, not now..but they were genetically wild) never
did either
(while sitting a nest).   My Embden Geese (the large, all white ones) ALWAYS
lose weight while nesting.  This breed, as most domesticated geese eat so much
they can't really fly more than a few feet due to body weight.  However, after
32-34 day sitting on eggs, they most certainly can fly, well and high. But they
all get legs and feet that are much more pale in color than they were before
sitting began.

I've noticed the hens of all above "take care of themelves" as to
food/water/exercise/defecating once or twice each day while sitting.  They are
simply "sneaky" and try and do it when no one is watching.  But they always blab
like silly things, hollering and shreiking and flapping wings as they come off
the arranged and "left just so" nests, covered or uncovered with nest material,
depending on the weather.  I can't even imagine one needing to "force" a hen off
her nest to eat, etc.  One would run the risk of breaking her "broody" mind set
and spoil the whole thing.  Leave nature be is best from what I've found.

Katy

From: "Theola Walden Baker" <[log in to unmask]>