From:
Craig Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:15:48 -0400
Don Wiss wrote:

>I was thinking of buying a high powered gas grill. So my question is: are
>there other paleo people out there grilling their meat?

I'm a big time griller.  I have a major gas grill (by Aussie,
best I've ever had), which I use all four seasons.  (When I lived
in Vermont, the only part of winter that I didn't use it was when
the grill was buried under four feet of snow.)

Note that while I am paleo in spirit, I am not always one in
strict adherence, so anything I say should be taken with a chunk
of unrefined sea salt.  But it seems to me that (a) grilling meat
and fish and poultry is pretty darned close to cavepeople sitting
around a fire, feasting on freshly killed behemoth or wild
turkey, (b) carcinogen studies are generally based on far higher
concentrations of the substance being tested than would generally
be found in most people's diets, and (c) charred stuff may not be
good if eaten with the opioids in grains and starchy veggies, but
no one has studied their effects in combination with a paleodiet.

And besides, the point of grilling is not to char, but to roast
and smoke.  If you're charring, you're cooking over too high a
flame for too long.

.:. Craig