From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:06:18 -0700
From: "Trish" <[log in to unmask]>

  I definitely think the food choices made by our ancestors have everything
to do with our genetics today.  It's
> all about the heavy reliance on grains other easily absorbed carbs that I
> think are to blame.

Trish, there was an excellent program on PBS several months ago that
addressed this question.  The researchers had studied a geographically
isolated northern European community, where very accurate records have been
kept for a long time in the island's church.

I don't remember the details, but I do remember that the geneticists
crunched the numbers and discovered that there was a difference in the
current inhabitants' ability to gain weight depending on whether or not
their great-grandfathers reached puberty during times of plentiful food or
near famine.  In other words, it made a difference as to whether people
currently living in the area had great grandparents who ate a lot of food
during puberty.

Kath