From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:09:25 EST
In a message dated 3/1/01 5:46:40 PM,  Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<< it only takes 5 minutes to see the paleo model is terminally flawed once
you
consider who are the longest lived groups of peoples. Hunzas and Georgians
do not eat a paleo diet.
having said that, it would be just as stupid to assume that we shoudl all
eat like them to live to a long age. >>

I'm sorry I can't give the source (perhaps Cordain?) but I do know I have
read somewhere that lately it has been discovered that the Hunzas and
Georgians really do not live quite as long as they claim. Many of their
longevity claims have been grossly exagerated. The true longest lived society
on Earth today are the Okinawans, and it is not a matter so much as what they
eat, as how much they eat. In all animal experiments conducted so far, the
only thing to have ever shown to truly positively impact maximum lifespan is
caloric restriction with optimum nutrition. According to Roy Walford, the
"father of caloric restriction", it doesn't even matter what the
macronutrient composition of the diet is, as long as it is nutritionally
adequate. It has been found that the Okinawans eat substantially fewer
calories overall than the mainland Japanese, and therefore live longer.

For me, personally, I am so much eating "modern Paleo" I would have no reason
to eat any differently, except maybe to eat less!

Maddy Mason