From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:09:43 -0500
Hello Wally;

>inescapable fact remains that the human animal has evolved relatively
>little in terms of dentition and metabolism since the advent of those
>technologies.

The dentition pattern does not suggest a pure carnivore but an animal who
consumes vegetation or hard food. But it does not exclude meat in the form
of carrion, insects and small animals as a food source as you suggest. In
fact I would say that we *require* meat since one of the B vitamins is not
found in any vegetable (as I understand it).

However because of the shape of our teeth and our elongated bowel it's my
opinion that we are physiologically capable of eating vegetation and doing
so is absolutely natural and beneficial. Whether that includes grain
products is another issue.

>These are the most basic concepts behind "paleo."  It's not a game, it's
>not fiddling with numbers...  If you can't deal with it, why are you
>here?

I'm an omnivore amd I enjoy the emphasis on natural as possible food sources
discussed here on the list. In fact, I have emailed one of the large grocery
store chains here in Ottawa giving them contact information about grass-fed
beef produced elsewhere in Ontario.

Marilyn