From:
michael raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:48:10 -0700
Hello all,

I left the list back in May because I was not planning
on being on the internet much over the summer.  I have
joined the list again and hope that I find time to
keep up with all the posts.  I have found this list to
be helpful, informative and, even, inspirational.

I have a question regarding fiber and am interested in
your thoughts.  Is the general recommendation of 25-35
g of fiber per day necessary if one is on a paleodiet?
 If a person isn't eating grains or legumes and, like
me, does not tolerate nuts or seeds well, then all of
that fiber is hard to get.  A cup of most vegetables
has around 1 g of fiber and most fruits have about 1
gram of fiber.  Therefore, in following a paleodiet a
person will likely not get anywhere near 25 g of
fiber.  This is a concern of mine because in the past
I ate lots of whole grains and legumes and therefore
was consuming lots of fiber.  Sometimes I feel that a
diet that is natural for our physiology requires more
fiber than I get when I eat just meat, a couple (or
none) pieces of fruit and 5-6 cups of veggies.  I
believe Cordain showed in his book an example of the
food composition that a person eating his approach to
the paleo-diet would have and showed something like
40+ grams of fiber.  I also have read that paleolithic
man ate mostly meat (and therefore must have been
eating little fiber). What has been your experience in
terms of fiber on a paleodiet and regularity?  How
well does the human gut do with 5 - 10 g of fiber a
day over a long period of time?  Perhaps the general
recommendation of 25 - 35 g of fiber is due to the
high consumption by most Americans of refined grains
and foods of low moisture content.

Mike Raiti

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs