From:
Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:35:37 -0800
>>> Humans had no horses until recently and buffalos run.
>>>When humans begun to have horses and rifles, the very vast herds quickly
>>>disappeared. 50 or 300 years are quick, compared to 10000, aren't they?.
>>
>> Ya buffalo run right over a cliff if directed properly. This was a common
>>way to hunt them.
>
>Do you know of such a cliff-site in the plains? There must be tons of bone
>remains at the bottom, if such hunts were successfull frequently.

There are many "buffalo jumps" with such bones.

Modern books on bison express amazement at how fast they are. "They
can
outrun horses!"  Of course, if you kill off the 99.999 percent that
couldn't, then breed the remainder, they're going to run briskly.

Bison are pretty amazing. They can jump as high as their hump from a
standing start (the bison ranchers say that if the bison can poke his
nose
over a fence, he knows he can jump it), scale rocky cliffs like goats,
and
run at 20 mph for hours.  Bison do not store fat like cattle in their
flesh, so bison is quite lean, and it's supposed to be higher in iron
than
beef. It certainly makes far better jerky.  If I live up there around
Denver like some of the gang do, where it's relatively easy to obtain
bison, I'd never look at beef.

Mike