From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 21:09:58 -0500
On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:54:27 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>So we say that if a food is edible in the raw state, it's paleo.  Ray
>and Cordain claim that this excludes tubers.  They're just wrong.
>There are tubers that are edible raw.

Note that Cordain includes rutabaga and turnip in his OK list.
In his Not-OK list he has "starchy tubers". So there are "roots"
that are included (but compare the carb content of cultivated
potatoes and yams to the other roots). Perhaps the idea is that
whatever roots were eaten paleolithically were more like the carb
content of turnip instead of potato, so potato would be excluded
(it is therefor irrelevant that potato can be eaten raw).

Philip Thrift
http://www.geocities.com/paleofitness