From:
Judy Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:04:10 EST
One thing I've continued to ponder while being a cavegirl is this:

How come none of the Chinese or Japanese or Korean people I know (and living
in a college town, I know plenty of them...) are fat?  They eat on the
average, 5 cups of white, refined rice every day, in addition to their meat.

If the glycemic index theory is correct, wouldn't eating that much rice make
them obese?  Wouldn't they all be diabetic by adulthood?

 They do not limit the protein, especially living in this country where it is
so abundant and cheap.  Egg  & pork is eaten stirred into soft rice for
breakfast.  Lunch is either beef, chicken or pork with veggies and more white
rice or fried  rice noodles.  Dinner is more rice with either meat  or fish
soup with veggies, or more stir fry.  Sometimes, meat dumplings wrapped in
rice noodles are eaten as well, either fried or steamed.

According to Amadeus's theory, wouldn't they be fat because their sole source
of grain is refined?

Yet, quite the contrary.  They are quite strong (especially the Koreans who
tend to eat more beef),  and  muscular.  Those that keep to their traditional
diets  (white rice, veggies and animal protein) and don't guzzle lots of
Pepsi don't tend to develop diabetes.

I know we've bandied this around before, but really, I am not settled in my
mind that we have all the answers here.

I could go on with more ethnic groups I rub shoulders with.  For example, the
Jamaican friends I have who still eat their "mama's cooking".    Lot's of
white rice accompanying fish cooked in coconut, fried plaintains, & greens.
But again, white rice with every meal.  They are strong like bulls. No
diabetes.  Very tall, robust with big teeth....

One thing they will all tell me, brown rice doesn't exist in their cuisine.
For one thing, it is too expensive and hard to find because it has to be
imported!  For another thing, no one likes the taste!  So much for whole
grains.....

So what gives?

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl