From:
Brett Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:39:23 +1030
Justin Hasselman wrote:
> I tried getting one of my friends to eat paleo for a week.  Normally, he
> eats loads of grains and dairy (his parents do too).  He felt absolutely
> horrible on the paleo diet.  This tells me that his genes are actually
> better suited to a grain and dairy based diet.  Or do u think that he should
> continue to eat paleo even though his body is telling him not to?

Justin,
I'd be interested to know if your friend lost any weight or had a better blood
lipid profile  after the week of Paleo. I know that I've gone through different
sleep patterns, energy levels, and feelings of well-being since starting to eat
semi-Paleo a few weeks ago. At the same time, I've lost 4kg and recorded lower
basal heart-rate readings.
My point is, whether you call it detox, adjusting to a new WOE or whatever, you
are taking steps to alter your body's chemistry/hormone levels using food as a
type of drug to do so. IMO, it is probably the exception that people *wouldn't*
feel at least unusual when making such a radical change. The example of giving
up smoking that was posted by another member springs to mind here.
I think that making strong assumptions about this WOE after such a short
experiment is not doing it justice.
Brett