From:
Binnie Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:46:18 -0500
        Reply to:   RE>>[P-F] Introduction

Hi John,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  My weight loss does seem to have slowed
down a bit.  I have not lost any more weight since my 6 lb. loss 2 weeks ago.
However, I do seem to be shifting from small weight losses weekly to larger
sudden (overnight) losses occurring more gradually.  Many of the people I work
with at a large teaching hospital argue that I have lost about one quarter of
my body mass and therefore now require less calories than when I started the
diet.  Since I am eating 3 meals a day and have changed my eating habits very
little since I started Neanderthin, they offer this as proof that calories do
indeed count.  I will make up my mind on how I feel about this when I reach my
weight loss goal of 80 lb..

I am very much inclined to agree with you about the importance of randomizing
caloric intake.  My most dramatic weight losses occurred after  eating a much
larger single meal as opposed to 3 per day or consuming meat only for several
days as opposed to meat, vegetables, and fruit.  The funny thing about this
weight loss is that I would wake up and be 4 - 6 lb. lighter, and then for
several days gain back about 3 pounds, and then lose about a pound each day
until finally the 4 -6 lb. weight loss was maintained for several weeks (i.e.
this weight loss bounced around for about a week before stabilizing).

The only deviations from Neanderthin that I have indulged in are the
occasional consumption of cured bacon, ham and small amounts of hotsauce.
While I don't seem to suffer from cravings, I am suffering from boredom.  I
don't seem to want forbidden foods, I just want to eat the foods I'm allowed
in different combinations thereby indulging by desire for new taste
experiences.  I miss the presentation, variety and textures of modern eating.

Also, I was bike riding a lot in July, August and September, but have quit
since it's gotten colder.  I am planning on starting some aerobic exercise and
possibly some resistance training this week.

I don't know if these ramblings have helped or confounded the weight loss
issues that you have mentioned, but I would like to continue to compare notes.
 Good luck to you.

Binnie