Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 21:42:04 EST
In a message dated 1/3/98 4:00:31 PM, Todd wrote:

>Remember that Atkins now concedes that
>about a third of his patients experience worsening of blood
>lipids on his diet, which is nothing like SAD.

Todd:  Where did you get this information?  I subscribe to Atkins' newsletter
and listen to his radio show frequently, and I've never heard him state this.

If he states that lipid profiles worsen in 1/3 of cases, do they improve in
the other 2/3?  What I've heard Atkins state is that some individuals will see
a rise in their total cholesterol (TC) in the first several weeks on his diet.
Most of this increase is usually associated with higher HDL levels.  Also, any
TC increase is usually countered by large decreases in triglycerides.  The
most important risk factor for heart disease is the ratio of triglycerides to
HDL (see Circulation 10/21/97 and JAMA, vol.276, p.882, 1996).

To quote Atkins: "Cholesterol rises even during a complete fast, because the
body must break down stored fat for energy.  The same thing happens at the
beginning of a low carbohydrate diet, but its usually temporary.  Total
cholesterol should drop within two weeks.  Cholesterol does rise in some
people when triglycerides drop significantly.  If the triglyceride drop
exceeds the LDL increase, your lipid profile may be much better than before.
If your lipid profile is now worse, you might have low thyroid function, which
can occur with significant weight loss.  Temperature testing is the best way
to determine if thyroid hormones are metabolizing properly" (see Atkins
newsletter Jan.'97 p.8).

Atkins breaks down causes of heart disease as follows:
                15% genetic cholesterol metabolism problem
                15% elevated homocysteine levels
                10% elevated Lipoprotein(a) and fibrinigen levels
                50-60% insulin related disorder

Atkins says diagnose the CAUSE of the problem first, then prescribe the
appropriate diet.  DON'T automatically blame FAT.  DON'T place everyone on the
same low fat diet as the medical establishment and Heart Association
recommends.

Ed Campbell, DC, CSCS