From:
Wayne Wynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:36:48 -0800
In BC, Canada, the organic farmers complain that the bulk of the profits
go to the retailers and wholesalers. I think there is probably some
truth to that. OTOH, when I buy direct from the farmers at local
farmers' markets, they don't lower the price!

Competition and fewer middlemen will hopefully bring down prices in the
longer term. Meanwhile, I tell myself that I am still getting more
absorbable nutrients per dollar with organic foods, on average.
Supporting organic is still better than the alternative, and supporting
local small farms is better than supporting the multinationals.

Ashley Moran wrote:
Right now it feels like organic meat farms are taking advantage of their
relative scarcity and promoting themselves to Marks & Spencers shoppers
(sorry, don't know how to translate that for US readers, think opposite
of Walmart).