From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:38:55 -0500
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Dori Zook wrote:

> Yes, a meat-rich diet low in carbohydrates has more dietary cholesterol than
> recommended by western medical authorities.  With only rare exceptions,
> someone with dangerously high cholesterol levels enjoys a reduction
> -sometimes a drastic reduction- in his or her cholesterol levels.  The
> problem comes when they go TOO low.  I have yet to hear about a case of
> below-healthy cholesterol levels in a low-carb disciple.  Neither have my
> clients, Mike and Mary Dan Eades.

Dori,

I am not so sure that it is rare for cholesterol levels to
increase on this kind of diet, as mine did.  I am a regular
reader of the posts at http://eatprotein.com and my impression is
that it is fairly common for a meat-rich diet to cause a
substantial and stable increase in LDL cholesterol.  There is
much to discuss about what is healthy or unhealthy about various
cholesterol readings and ratios (and the Eades do a good job with
that in PPLP), but I think it's hardly rare to see large LDL
increases on this kind of a diet.

As for whether they ever go too low, those Masai averages would
be considered too low by the Eades' standards, but there may well
be other variables in play.

Todd Moody