From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:25:05 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:

>I just picked this up from D'Adamo's web site.  It's interesting
>that only the Italian studies fail to find the correlation
>between red meat and colon cancer found other studies.  I wonder
>if anyone has considered whether there is something unusual about
>the red meat that Italians eat, either its source or the way it
>is handled.

I gather you are referring to this study:

Franceschi S, et.al; "Intake of macronutrients and risk of breast cancer"
Lancet 1996;347(9012):1351-6

They found the risk of breast cancer decreased with increasing total fat
intake whereas the risk increased with increasing intake of available
carbohydrates.

This study was done in the Italian population which having a low awareness
of diet and cancer issues there is less scope for recall bias. The feeling
is in countries like the US the participates give biased answers based on
what they think the surveyors want to hear.

Don.