From:
Neil Timms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:07:29 +0800
Bren,

I tried to track down a Far Side cartoon that as far as I can see
explains it all: elder holding up a small squiggly thing and saying
"we don't have a name for this part; it's the only bit of the buffalo
we don't we don't use" (or something like that).

As far as I know for North American native peoples just about every
last bit of the animal was eaten or certainly used in some way - so
I'm sure any milk in an udder was consumed, raw or fermented in some
way. If you've not read it this may be of interest:
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional-diets/guts-and-grease.

I think processed (pasteurized, and or homogenized) milk is a totally
different type of food to raw milk. I sometimes eat some aged cheese
made from un-pasteurized milk - and there are fermented milks such as
Kumis - I expect that the fermentation deals with the milk sugars that
may cause digestion problems.

I think that the principle that milk is a food for infants has to hold
true - but that adults can consume milk or derivatives without too
much harm depending on their degree of adaptation and how the milk is
presented.

Trashed my paleo credentials - admitted to eating cheese and placed a
link to weston a price in the same post. Doh!

Cheers

Neil

--
Neil C Timms