From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:38:12 -0700
On Tuesday, Apr 6, 2004, at 02:28 US/Pacific, Eva Hedin wrote:

> Could you tell me what "shortening" is. I've seen it in the context of
> baking and thouht it to be a mixture of fat and flour but later on
> I've got the idea that it is plain margarine. If it is, why do you
> call it shortening and not just fat or margarine? I'm just now reading
> an article of Mary Enig so it's important to know what she's talking
> about.
> Thanks in advance
> Eva

I believe it's any fat used with flour in a recipe. "Shortening" the
mixture would always produce a more crumbly texture, as opposed to a
bready, glutinous one. It can be lard from animals, rendered fats like
bacon or pother pork, or even goose or chicken fat, or of course
butter. Liquid fats and oils do not produce the same texture, which is
enhanced by the "cutting in" of the fats into very small but distinct
particles which hold the flour to them.

Bread with fat has always been more luxurious a commodity, and
obviously, more calorie-dense.

Any other info would be appreciated.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!