From:
theta sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:37:10 -0800
Mary wrote:

>Does anyone have any ideas on saving money on meat? Beef prices have
>skyrocked now  and steaks are horribly expensive. I rarely treat myself to
>one any more. What do you guys do
>Getting sick of ground meat! even though it is cheaper
>
>Mary
>.

I buy less expensive cuts.  For example, my local Wholefoods has stew
pieces of lamb that are far cheaper than the rest they offer.  Same is
true of the other beef cuts - I just go for the cheapest (which often
translates into more fat, less lean and a bit tougher to chew).  Since I
don't cook any meat I don't have to be concerned about preparation of
the pieces, etc., except for cutting into bite-sized bits.  Though I
haven't done it recently, you can request the butcher save you the
cuttings from their "steaks" and usually it costs much less.  For
chicken I get the whole or half and cut it myself to save costs -
deboned chicken is more expensive.

Regards,

-=mark=-