From:
Jael Greenleaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:24:32 EST
Having kept kosher for decades, I can assure you that this tale of rabbis and
monkeys is a complete lie. Whoever made up this story didn't know enough about
Judaism, rabbis or kosher law to even create a plausible story.
     1 . Rabbis and observant Jews rarely keep pets of any kind. The care of
such animals in the city on the sabbath creates far more problems than having
a pet is worth. An exotic pet such as a monkey would triple the problems.
        2. Tsaar baalei chaiim  is basic Jewish law and forbids ANY KIND of cruelty
to animals. Stealing, drugging and otherwise mistreating a monkey is most
definitely cruelty to animals.
        3. Since it is highly illegal to heist a monkey, what on earth would the
rabbi's motivation for doing so be? You may not like Jews, but we're not
stupid.
        4. Rabbis cannot just shut down a food processing venture for no reason.
Jewish dietary laws are clear and not open to wild speculation. Someone
ignorant of these laws might view the closing as arbitrary, but, I assure you
it is not.
        5. This tale IS anti-semitic and reminds me of the mideval stories of Jews
using the blood of Christian children to make matzoh. It doesn't matter who
the bearer of this story is, anyone with any knlowledge of the Jewish world
would know that it is crazy and ridiculous.
        6. Since you insist that it happened, please provide me with name and
affiliation of the rabbi in question and I will be happy to report him to
every kosher supervision  organization in the world.
        7. What exactly was your friend's doing in all this?  Since he claims to know
for certain, was he there? Unlikely, as kosher supervision is not exactly an
entertaining event that tourists would go to.
        8. If you or your bigoted friend cannot supply a name to go with this
outrageous story, then you become like every other rumor-monger who makes
trouble for others for his own pleasure.

Mac