From:
Holly Krahe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:45:37 EST
Just received the following email from a supplier of pet foods.  Very
interesting how the paleo concept is becoming more and more (pardon the term)
ingrained into current nutritional thinking.  While the information is
generalized (and probably not entirely accurate), I'm glad to see it making
the rounds.   BTW they have a new product named Archetype that fits in with
this thinking - haven't tried it yet, and have no interest in or affiliation
with the company.
Holly

***
THE WYSONG e-HEALTH LETTER
~Thoughts for Thinking People~

WHAT DOES OUR GENETIC PROGRAM SAY WE SHOULD EAT? -
On a timeline, modern Western eating patterns constitute about one inch on a
276-mile long life-on-the-planet line.  Our genetics are obviously tuned to
the 276 miles, not the one inch.

226 hunter-gatherer societies in the Ethnographic Atlas, which all eat the
diet of the 276 miles, have been studied.  133 of these societies derived at
least 2/3 of their subsistence from animal foods.  None were largely or
entirely dependent upon gathered plant foods.

Hunter-gatherers ate (as a percentage of total energy consumed) as much as
35% protein, 58% fat, and as little as 22% carbohydrates.  They ate the
entire edible portion of a carcass (no carbohydrates here at all, except in
the liver and possibly the tongue and kidney).  Plants consumed, in order
from most to least, were fruit, seeds, nuts, tubers-roots-bulbs, and
leaves-flowers-gums-miscellaneous plant parts.

Compare the above with current U.S. eating patterns: protein 15%, fat 34%,
and carbohydrates 52%.  Compare it to the "recommended" healthy diet touted
by the experts: protein 15%, fat 30%, and carbohydrates 55%.  So much for
conventional wisdom and expertise!

Cereal grains are the most common foods in modern diets.  Yet
hunter-gatherers only eat them as a starvation diet.  Candy, pop, sugar,
oleo, alcohol, coffee, Pop Tarts, Twinkies, Ding Dongs, bagels, Jolly
Ranchers, etc., predominant foods today, were non-existent with
hunter-gatherers, our genetic prototypes.

Here's another difference between "us" and "them."  They are virtually free
of chronic degenerative diseases (heart disease, cancer, obesity, arthritis,
diabetes, etc.); we experience them as an epidemic.

Do you think there might be some clues from the foregoing as to how we might
escape these diseases?
***
www.wysong.net for those who want to check it out.