From:
Bruce Sherrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:11:44 -0400
Ray Audette writes:
>Over 65% of the worlds arible land is
>unsuitable for growing plant crops.

Can you provide a reference for this claim?

>If this land could support plants the
>farmers would grow them as they are far more profitable than raising meat.

Can you provide a reference for this claim?

>Feed lot cattle are fed almost exclusively grain that has been deemed unfit
>for human consumption because of contamination by aflatoxins, other molds
>and rusts, rat feces, insects, etc.

Can you provide a reference for this?

>Because of factors inherent in
>production and distrubution, these affect a large part of these crops.

Can you provide a reference for this?  How much grain is deemed unfit
for human consumption?

>Because of the market for this grain as animal feed, meat eaters actually
>subsidise grain producers.  If more people ate less meat, the price of all
>food would increase dramatically worldwide resulting in the deaths of
>millions if not billions of people.

This conclusion is realistic only if the amount of grain that is
deemed
unfit for human consumption and thus fed to animals is extremely high
--
and that such grain could not be put to any other use -- and that such
grain much be grown in order to produce edible grain.

That seems like a big leap of faith to me.

For example, small biodynamic farms do not produce huge quantities of
inedible grain.  Such farms produce a small amount of meat (they keep
animals for manure to increase soil quality), but mainly they produce
vegetable food.  Biodynamic farms also match or outproduce
conventional
farms (someone posted an article to the list about this not too long
ago).

If conventional grain and meat industries were converted to biodynamic
farms -- which would cause people to eat more of a vegetarian diet --
how would this cause deaths of millions if not billions of people?

>potentates of old.  That why corporate
>interests (Kellogg, ADM, Cargil, etc.) do so much to promote the vegan
>cause.

Can you provide documentation to support this claim?  You are of
course
aware that nearly all of Kellogg's products are not vegan.

-Bruce