Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 01:35:49 -0600
Don W. wrote:
>Could you please post the contact info from the side of the can? That being
the name of many restaurants makes it difficult to track them down on the
web.

Hi Don, Tommy Tang's Coconut Milk is very good tasting though a little
pricey. One other thing I like about this product is the manufacture date as
well as expiration code is clearly stamped on the can, and one does not have
to "decode" the dates! The can I tasted is due to expire next month, it was
produced 2 years ago, yet it tasted better than the new Thai Kitchen brand.
Please note I am not a coconut taste tester, so my opinion is but one. Here
is the contact info you requested.

Tommy Tang's Thai Seasonings
P.O. Box 467000
Los Angels, CA 90046

Sorry, no other contact or Internet info is given.

I did go to 2 fairly large oriental markets to check on more coconut milk. I
found an interesting product called Coconut Cream by Savoy. It does have
preservatives, but most all brands I found had preservatives. Coconut Cream
is a richer product with a higher fat concentration, but for my use this is
better.

Also, the oriental food store had canned coconut meat. The only preservative
is sugar, so this is another good source of coconut & its fat. The sugar
ranged from 39g to 54g for the entire can, as I bought two brands to try. I
assume the sugar is mostly in the liquid, so just dispose of that.

I did buy a real coconut too at $2 per coconut. I'm not sure if I have the
patience to produce my own coconut milk, but as an occasional treat it's not
bad. I wouldn't make an ideal tropical caveman, though I do enjoy hunting
(even for coconut).

Best, deVries

.