From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:37:32 -0500
From: Siobhan
> <<> I have to question the wisdom of this.  McDonald's and other
> > commercial fast food places use a grade of beef rated one grade below
commercial
> > animal food.

Hamburger, as a U.S.D.A. grade of meat, is different from the ground beef
that you buy at your grocers.  Hamburger is beef that comes from animals
that have never been to a feed lot and thus are very lean.  To this meat
 usually imported in the U.S.) is added fat trimed from feed-lot cattle.

Because added beef fat must be listed as "beef byproducts" on animal food
labels, hamburger is not an approved grade of meat for commercial animal
foods.

Hamburger has slightly higher levels of Omega-3s than ground beef but not
enough to avoid the need for other sources of this vital component of animal
fats.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
http://www.neanderthin.com