From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:25:54 +0200
At 14:16 1998-06-29 -0400, Aaron D. Wieland wrote:

>250 miles to harvest salt."  I find it difficult to believe that a
>population would exert so much effort merely to satisfy a junk food
>addiction.

What about the current western population and its junk food efforts???
Why do You think that another population some hundred years ago should
resist junk food better if it was around? Better religion? Idealism?
Salt has some conservating effects on food, so if You store food You
benefit from adding salt. But in paleo times there was no storing of
food, and it is not today either in more "pure" hunter/gatherer
societies (Sorry Kirt, I have to use this expression on this list as
well, although I cannot shortly explain what I mean with it :-))

- Hans