From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:20:30 -0500
> I would say that UNLESS the tuna is packed in unrefined extra virgin olive
> oil then the water packed stuff is by far the better.

I just don't agree. I buy tuna packed in olive oil. Lately the Trader Joe
brand that has a clean taste.

It is true that olive oil that is "pure", as this is, is processed
chemically after olives are pressed for the more expensive extra virgin
quality oil. It is made from the leavings, in essence. But, the solvents
have been evaporated away and the oil that is left behind isn't necessarily
loaded with "trans fats."

Oil that is turned bad, esp. olive oil, tastes off. This oil doesn't taste
off.

Whatever the reason, oil packed tuna tastes, to me, remarkably better than
water packed tuna. I can't see how it is any worse for you, or less paleo,
than water packed tuna. The tuna is cooked, canned, and sits on the shelf,
so it ain't exactly paleo anyway. We're talking engineering compromises
here, to get tuna to people at a low cost.

I don't think tuna is particularly rich in omega 3 fatty acids anyway, it is
not necessarily a cold water fish

--Richard