From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:13:35 -0800
Mary wrote:
> Would a  paleo diet  help relieve asthma?
> I read somewhere that dairy is a culprit in asthma.
> What else? Is gluten implicated in asthma?

I had lifelong asthma that is no more, thanks for paleo. My daughter has
asthma, doctors gave us tons of corticosteroid inhalants etc. and she
was always sick. We took wheat and dairy from her diet and presto the
problem goes largely away.

I think that asthma is caused in most kids by:
1. wheat intolerance
2. corn intolerance
3. dairy intolerance
4. high carb diet in general

Doctors don't even bother advising parents of these possibilities or
doing elimination diets. They jump to drugs and injections. My own
theory is that the alarming increase in carbs/sugar in the diet
correlates strongly with increased incidence of asthma and complications
including mortality from asthma, and that there is a cause from the
above that is responsible for this alarming increase in asthma.

And paleo neatly takes care of all of the above. My daughter is not
strictly paleo, we have found that RyKrisp is okay for her and use it in
place of bread for sandwiches. I am strictly paleo but find it hard to
enforce with my kids, so we manage a sort of compromise. Incidentally,
my other son does much better when free of artificial colors but doesn't
seem to have any of the above allergies and has no asthma or problems
like that, thankfully.

All the best, Mary!

--Richard (Tarzana)