From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:54:36 -0500
On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Mary wrote:

> But sometimes, aren't we covering up our kids symptoms and not healing them?
> I believe I am covering up Larry's symptoms by giving him (a very small
> amount) of garlic. I'm not happy with doing this. I would rather have him
> healed.

As I stated at the outset, Ritalin treats symptoms, not causes.
I don't think it "covers them up"; it just alleviates them to
some extent (in those for whom it works).  I do *not* assert that
this should end anyone's search for autism treatments.

Like you, I would rather have my son healed.  But I don't know
how to do it, and I don't know anyone who does.

Risks must be taken and choices must be made.  I have tried
dietary interventions, with little long-term effect.  I have
tried homeopathy, with no effect at all.  Dylan has improved
steadily, but his improvements have not corresponded to the
interventions.

We did not try secretin, because we didn't like what we saw with
those who did try it.

So we are still searching, but meanwhile we want to give our son
some relief from symptoms, so that's what we're doing.

> I'm hoping these topics are of interest as we are not just talking about
> "autism" here, we are addressing ADD and ADHD, which are becoming small
> epidemics. Some would say, huge epidemics.

It's possible that paleo diet may prevent some of these things,
but it's also true that what prevents a problem may not cure it.
A case in point is hypertension.  Some people experience a rapid
normalization of blood pressure when they reduce carbs.  I did.
But some people just don't.

I think it is also true that some auto-immune diseases may be
preventable by preventing the molecular mimicry that initiates
the immune systems assault on the self.  But once that assault is
started, the molecular mimcry is no longer needed; the
self-assault continues on its own.

Todd Moody