Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:30:34 -0600
> there is something secreted by the intestine called intrinsic
> factor, without which no amount of the vitamin can be absorbed or utilized
by
> the body

Could something like this also cause problems in even being able to
tolerate
taking a supplement?  After a bone scan my doc recommend I take a
calcium
supplement.  In short, I tried several different brands, kinds and
combinations of calcium and magnesium.  It all made me sick, weak and
faint.
All brands were gluten free as I'm celiac with neurological symptoms
so that
wasn't the problem.  My first thought (after it made me sick, duh) was
that
because supplements must be chemically processed some how,
(right?),...
maybe that's the problem alone.  After this experiment gone bad, I'll
take
my chances without the cal/mag supplement and stick to real food as
before.
I'm still curious as to why or what the problem was.  Could it have to
do
with this intrinsic factor (I've never heard of this) or something
else
altogether...any thoughts?

Patti
in Idaho