From:
Ryan Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:13:02 -0400
Since I have eaten paleo since september, I have accumulated three big cans
of saved bacon grease. I decided that I had to make use of it, or Id have to
 make room in the freezer for more cans, or throw it away. I wasnt about to do
either. I was boiling some spaghetti for my girlfriend (not me ) the other night, and
 I wasnt watching it- it boiled over, and somehow lit ablaze the bacon grease
that had fallen below the stove coil. I calmly picked up the pot, and threw it all,
water and spaghetti on the fire, it put it out ok. That experience left me thinking
two things. 1- I need to get some baking soda for grease fires, and 2- Bacon
grease makes a great fuel! the next time I was going to grill steaks I decided to
use grease. I took a 3 lb coffee can, cut both ends out, used an old fashioned
can opener to make lots of triangular holes around the edge on the bottom.
(Thats for ventilation). I filled it up to the top with. Charred wood (I got it at whole
 foods- its great!- ive used some pieces three times)- Charcoal briquets are fine- I
 poured probably a third of a cup of bacon grease over the top ( I use uncured
bacon, so the grease is liquid at room temp- you may have to heat cured bacon
grease) I gave it a prudent squirt of lighter fluid and lit it. The fire started well, and
continued to burn well. That grease gives off TONS OF SMOKE, but I like
smokey meat. You have to pull off the can, and spread out the coals to cook,
BEFORE the fire goes out, or it will be too late. The grease keeps the flame
going for a long time.

Sorry if this was too long, but I had to share this

Ry