From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:22:15 -0700
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:18:05 -0500, Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Could I get some advice/feedback on which of the three supplements below you
>think would be best for my 17-year-old son with rheumatoid arthritis?

Much better would be to take Fish Oil, ie EPA Omega-3 fatty acids.

GLA can cause stimulation of the production of Arachidonic Acid, which
would cause worse arthritis, as well as other problems.

However, EPA fatty acids have been shown to reduce inflammation and
thereby arthritis.

A major contributor to arthritis is the modern diet that is unbalanced
towards Omega-6 fatty acids rather than Omega-3 fatty acids.

Many details on all this can be found in Dr. Barry Sears new book "The
Omega Rx Zone", which is about the benefits of fish oil.   The premise
is explained in the first part of the book entitled "The Paleolithic
Diet" where he states:

" The diet that made us human is the one that will keep us human. "

The book includes 80 pages of references of studies that support the
conclusions.   Appendix D explains why doses of GLA more than a very
small amount are counterproductive.

--
Cheers,

Ken