From:
Tim Rowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:39:32 -0400
mark wilson wrote:
>> Info on the diet of the Comanche Indians.  I thought
>> this was particularly instresting,
>>
>> "They also drank the milk from the slashed udders of
>> buffalo, deer, and elk. Among their delicacies was the
>> curdled milk from the stomachs of suckling buffalo
>> calves, and they also enjoyed buffalo tripe, or
>> stomachs."

There is an excellent commentary of the use the !Kung San people made of
an antelope in a book by Elizabeth Thomas named 'The Harmless People'
(she also wrote another that is good reading, 'The Old Way').  The
Kalahari is a more marginal environment than the Great Plains,
especially in the dry season.  Don't have the book in front of me, but
one thing I recall they did was use the stomach as a reservoir that they
placed in the ground, and all the liquids from the rumen, stomach, etc
from the butchering process were caught in it and consumed.  They also
ate the contents of the rumen.  Yum Yum!  Man is truly an opportunistic
feeder.  I highly recommend both those books for anyone interested in a
look at the life-ways of a hunter-gatherer people before too much
western contact.