From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:56:43 +0900

> In Chinese Medicine, yams are very lubricating to the intestines...  same
> with bananas.   These might help some paleofolks poop.

Bannanas NO! Bananas are a treatment for diarrhea. They can stop you
up solid, especially if you eat them with white bread or cheese. back
in the bad old pre-paleo days I had an extensive list of constipation
causing foods, and bananas were close to the top. I can eat them now,
but don't too often due to the sugar.

Incidentally, if you are constipated there are several things you can
do to get "things moving" again, First is a large glass of cold water
just after waking up. Seems to stimulate the bowels. That is a bit of
Japanese lore.

An aquaintance related to me his experience with an Indian health
technique to cleanse the bowels. I didn't get all the details, but it
involved drinking massive amounts of water and certain exercises.

One of the exercises is to simply lock your hands over your head and
pull back and forth. Another is to twist to the left while "sitting",
hold that position. It really works!

These days since going paleo I don't need to do anything special, but
I remember them well from years od bread eating. I am surprised to
hear so many seem to be constipated on paleo. Eat more FAT. ;-)