From:
Wilkinson Jens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:15:36 +0900
Sorry for stirring this up. It was really just something I
was interested in, because I personally was using
"PAH-lee-o" but looked up something in Websters (actually
paleoanthropology or something like that) and the
pronuciation showed "PAY-lee-o." But it seems from the
discussion here that most Americans and Canadians use that
pronunciation, whereas the English, Australians, NZers
tend to use the one I was using originally. So just as
long as I wasn't saying something that nobody else uses,
I'm reassured. It's not really an issue for most of you,
but in Japanese, as well as other Asian langauges, English
words are transliterated according to their pronunciation,
so you have to choose a pronunciation for a term.

Jens Wilkinson