From:
Michele Brigante <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:46:29 EST
>  From http://mendosa.com/gifactor.html:
>
>  To date hundreds of volunteers, both diabetics and others, have
participated
>  in the clinical trials that form the basis of our knowledge of the glycemic
>  index. The test food that they eat is 50 grams of carbohydrate. For
example,
>  to test boiled spaghetti, the scientists give their subjects 200 grams of
>  spaghetti

So the testers now know the GI of spaghetti!  Which totally ignores the
glaring reality that all carbs are not the same nor do they affect BG in the
same manner.  You don't state the numeric result of the spaghetti tests, but
with nothing else added to the spaghetti the result should be a fairly low
number, according to the latest research I have read.

Now should the testing party really wish to know their subject indepth, the
same test should be performed with several different high carb food types
measured in equal amounts according to carb gram content.  To make a "blanket
statement" regarding GI using only one test food seems rather unscientific,
at best.

Michele