From:
Stan Marks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:54:25 -0600
on 11/22/03 1:35 PM, Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry at
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>>> you explain how do you recognise flukes in liver ?
>>
>> The fluke is a flat worm that grows in the liver, just under the surface
>> membrane. As it grows, it eats out a pocket in the liver, which makes a soft
>> spot that can be felt and sometimes seen. If you cut into it, it is filled
>> with a dark, black-red fluid (digested blood?) and, of course, the fluke,
>> itself. Very unappetizing to find! They mostly occur in older deer, instead
>> of the younger animals.
>
> thank you for that .can you see flukes with naked eyes .what about eggs ?(
> are they also in the liver ?)
> jean-claude

I did a Google search on "liver fluke", but most of the references had to do
with cattle infestations. However, there were some references to "deer
flukes", which appear to be a separate species. Here is one excellent
article:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26639--,00.html

I guess the last paragraph of this article more-or-less answered my
question:

"This parasite is not infective for humans and presents no public health
menace in this regard. The main prohibition against human consumption of
cooked `flukey' deer liver would be an aesthetic one."

Stan