From:
John McKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:43:50 +1100
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:41:09 +0300, Phosphor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> >> Generally tubers are *the* perfect paleo food
> >
> >funny, Aborigines didnt know this.
>
> funny, apparently they did know, you didn't read the
> citation of Ashley, did you?
> " The Tiwi of Bathurst and the Melville
> " Islands north of Australia eat yams; in fact, yams are sufficiently
> " important that they base an important ritual around them.

Going back to my hazy memory from primary school, these same people
had unexplained loss of health switching to a western diet.
I don't remember the specifics, and wish I could but it was traced to
the difference between native "sweet potato"(which I think is yams) and
normal potatoes. Switching back to sweet potatoes removed the problem.

> > they preferred kangaroo.
>
> How do you know, they preferred kangaroo?
> You should be close to them, down under.
>
> May I suggest a test? Just try to live on kangaroo only for 2-3 weeks.
> I bet you'll not stand it without adding some fat from beef or else.
> The same time on yams or tubers will be boring but sustaining.

This is hardly a fair test, Australian Indigenous people may well
have evolved so that they could eat in such a way, but it this
hypothesis could not be applied to European settlers who have been here
a little more than 200 years. There are areas of Australia where the
only
way someone could have survived is on a meat only diet for extended
periods.

 My own 2 cents, I would be far healthier
on meat only than meat + potatoes. And I have eaten Kangaroo.
 My health is better (lower body fat more energy greater feeling of
 well being (<- in whatever way it can be appraised)on a very low carb
diet than any other option. For me it is not anything inherently
evil about the potato, just the amount of carbs in it.

I also know plenty of people happy on a western diet.

which highlights a point - find what works for you. Amadeus has.

John McKenzie (back to lurking)

--
[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
admin@loopback $LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost