From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:05:05 -0600
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:49:19 -0600, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Robert > You are right that intense weight training is difficult without
> some carbs.
>
> For the type of lifting I do -- 20 minutes of single set, to failure
> work twice a week -- this is absolutely and utterly false.

I didn't say it was impossible, just that it was difficult.  At least,
that has been the case for me personally.  But admittedly I was
considering something with a bit more volume than a single hard set twice
a week.

> I would argue that this pattern best imitates our
> ancestors' activity pattern.  They wouldn't be working that hard more
> than two or three times a week.

Possibly true.  But then I doubt they'd do one intense set to failure
either -- that's more reminiscent of a "fight or flight" scenario (which I
have no idea how often they would have faced), or they were doing work
(lots of reps of submaximal output), which seems likely (to me) to have
been more common.

Paleo man would probably have been more active on his laziest day than a
lot of modern humans are on their busiest.  (Which of course has nothing
to do with carbs, but bears consideration when considering designing an
exercise program around paleo principles.)

--
   Robert Kesterson