From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:40:48 +0930
"Jane [log in to unmask]" wrote:

> <<I used to love having dampers when I was in the Girl
> Guides. We'd go off and build a camp fire somewhere in
> the woods, then mix up the flour and water, find a
> green twig and stick the damper on the end and poke it
> in the fire for a couple of minutes.  Yum.>>
>
> What are dampers?????????????????
>
> Jane

Hiya!

Damper is a very simple form of bread. (Often made whilst camping out in the "bush".)

In its simplest form, just self raising flour and water.

A couple of references...

http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/australia/recipes/
http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/aussiesnacks.html

The next question... is baking powder "paleo"?

If not are there any "raising agents" that would be considered paleo?

(I should be heading out to the Aussi desert in a few months, I just *have* to work out how to make a paleo damper!)  :)

Jim.