From:
PAUL TOWNLEY-SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:13:24 -0500
Our youngest (25 months today) had extreme digestive problems and food
allergies, so she only had breast milk until about 1 year, then ate organic
baby foods and breast milk.  By about 20 months she seemed so hungry that we
started her on real meat.  Now she has graduated to our diet which includes
some fruit and vegetables, and very few nuts and seeds but mostly various
meats.  She is especially fond of lamb, fresh salmon (I rub it with olive
oil and dill before cooking), swordfish (served with paleo mayo for the
fussier older kids who didn't start out paleo), and dried turkey sticks
(good for teething), but she seems to like all meat very much.  We have
tried the pemmican with cherries and it is delicious.  I wish to include
pemmican in our diet regularly as well, but currently do not have the
equipment to make it easily.  Once in a while for a treat (and a break for
Mom) we buy Applegate farms chicken or beef hotdogs and she will eat about 4
of those in a sitting and ask for more.  Since she is a petite 23 pounds,
this is quite a lot of food.  Now that she is basically on our diet, she
still gets breast milk, but also water and small amounts of diluted organic
juice.  Allergies prevent us from using most popular juices, but we found
things such as organic limeade sweetened with agave nectar.  Interestingly,
she failed to thrive until we adopted the paleo diet, and our physician was
so shocked at her recent progress that he took notes about her diet and
asked several questions with genuine interest.

Kerry