From:
"Ron Hoggan, Ed. D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:45:21 -0700
Thanks for your kind comment Paula.

Thanks Wally, the comments on the website you linked to seem sensible. They
resonate with my reading and my understanding. But there may be more to this
issue than the sweeping generalizations from Jonny Bowden, Ph.D. As William
pointed out, zero carb may be the best way of healing.

The ketogenic diet (extremely low carb) developed at Johns Hopkins in the
1920s was developed to control seizures in people with epilepsy. When drug
treatments came along, the ketogenic diet was dropped in favor of a magic
bullet. A resurgence of the diet for controlling drug resistant seizures
followed the release of the movie "First do no Harm". I think it was
released in the late 80s or early 90s.

Similarly, there is a smattering of anecdotal reports of the use of the
ketogenic diet for treating certain 'hopeless' cases of childhood and adult
cancers, especially brain cancers (1, 2, 3) while fruit intake has been
positively associated with brain tumor growth (4). Animal studies have shown
that ketosis often inhibits growth of malignant cells (5). Then, in 2007,
Time Magazine published an article about clinical trials that are under way
at three universities in Germany and The Netherlands (6). They are putting
cancer patients on a ketogenic diet and having some success. Because all
avenues of conventional cancer treatment must first be exhausted before
these patients can be enrolled in the ketogenic clinical trials, it is
amazing that anyone is getting better - but many of them are.

From the late 70s, a low residue diet (I believe it was mostly meat and fat)
dramatically reduced the ill effects of chemo and radiation therapy among
pediatric cancer patients (7).

Then there is the study of nutrition students wherein pulmonary function was
significantly improved on a ketogenic diet. It seems that fats are burned
more efficiently and there is less carbon dioxide to exchange across the
lung mucosa, leading to improved breathing (8). Similar findings are also
reported in obese patients (9).

Still another study report says: "The present study demonstrates that 14
days of a ketogenic diet elevates blood antioxidative capacity and does not
induce oxidative stress in healthy subjects" (10).

Thus, while I continue to eat a mixed diet, I will shift to a ketogenic diet
should I ever be diagnosed with cancer or start having seizures. As it is, I
eat a lot of fats, but I also eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. I even eat
sugar sometimes. While I have tried a ketogenic diet, I have not had the
will power to stick with it - I suspect that I need a little more
motivation.

I'm well aware that many people have survived and thrived on a wide variety
of diets. What I'm not aware of is any other therapeutic diet that clearly
improves cancer survival, pulmonary function, seizure control, and just
about guarantees weight loss with high energy and no long term nasty
consequences, unless one credits the notion of blood buffering with calcium
leeched from the bones.

I'm still inclined to think of low carb as being the path to optimum health,
given the findings mentioned above.

Best Wishes,
Ron

Sources:
1. Nebeling LC, Lerner E. Implementing a ketogenic diet based on
medium-chain triglyceride oil in pediatric patients with cancer. J Am Diet
Assoc. 1995 Jun;95(6):693-7. Review.
2. Nebeling LC, Miraldi F, Shurin SB, Lerner E. Effects of a ketogenic diet
on tumor metabolism and nutritional status in pediatric oncology patients:
two case reports. J Am Coll Nutr. 1995 Apr;14(2):202-8.
3. Stragand J, et. al. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1977; 30: 918
4. Kaplan S, Novikov I, Modan B. Nutritional factors in the etiology of
brain tumors: potential role of nitrosamines, fat, and cholesterol. Am J
Epidemiol. 1997 Nov 15;146(10):832-41.
5. Magee BA, Potezny N, Rofe AM, Conyers RA.The inhibition of malignant cell
growth by ketone bodies. Aust J Exp Biol Med Sci. 1979 Oct;57(5):529-39.
6. Friebe R, Can a high fat diet beat Cancer? Time Magazine, Sept 17, 2007
7. Donaldson SS, "Effect of Nutrition as Related to Radiation and
Chemotherapy"  _Nutrition and Cancer_ Winick ed. 1977; Wiley & Sons,  New
York, 137153
8. I can't lay my hands on the study right now, but it is commented on and
cited in: McDonald L.The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and
Practitioner 1998
9.  Fried PI, McClean PA, Phillipson EA, Zamel N, Murray FT, Marliss
EB.Effect of ketosis on respiratory sensitivity to carbon dioxide in
obesity.N Engl J Med. 1976 May 13;294(20):1081-6.
10.  Nazarewicz RR, Ziolkowski W, Vaccaro PS, Ghafourifar P. Effect of
short-term ketogenic diet on redox status of human blood. Rejuvenation Res.
2007 Dec;10(4):435-40.