From:
Nutrition Magician <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:23:25 -0500
Dori, thanks for keeping us posted on this melodrama.

The USDA has also tapped four other health
> experts on the shoulder, allowing them ten minutes for
'commentary'.  Not
> one supports a low-carb diet. One of the commentators?
Dr. Dean Ornish.
> Interesting, when you consider Glickman cited the
popularity of low-fat AND
> low-carb diets as the reason for this study.  Others
wishing to make public
> comment will get 3 minutes during the oral testimony
phase of the hearing.

Is there any place individuals can voice
complaints/opinions about how this
is being conducted?  Who are the  "experts" and what are
thier backgrounds?

> According to a June, 2000 Associated Press story,
"USDA researchers plan to
> put two groups of people on prototype diets that are
similar to those Atkins
> and Ornish are promoting and measure how much weight
they lose and what
> effects the plans have on their health."
>
> You bet your sweet bippy it is!  Insert an image of a
cash-waving Pillsbury
> Dough Boy in an Uncle Sam get-up right about... here.
LOL, oh Dori, you are so cynical.  What? Do you mean
nutrition policy is
driven by economics and not health interests? I'm
stunned! ;)

I'm very interested
> in who WILL fund this study, aren't you?

Keep us posted...

Judy Stone
www.nutritionmagician.net