From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:34:06 -0700
  Hi Wally,
Okay, I get it now. I'm a little slow some days. :-)
  I think that we evolved our senses of taste and smell as a part of our
adaptation to our environment. When I smell a new food I can often tell
whether I want to or should eat it. I have celiac disease and as a kid I
was often chastised for eating only the icing on cakes and the filling
from pies. The smell of bread or pastry baking was, to me, sometimes
indistinguishable from raw sewage. I realize that most people don't
experience that reaction, but just imagine someone trying to pressure
you into eating something that smelled like a mixture of fecal matter
and urine! I was a difficult child anyway, and my responses to "good
food" were not well received by the adults in my life.

Relatedly, if there was enough sugar on it, as with donuts, I would
sometimes eat it. I think that the sweet taste is almost universally
acceptable, although one list member posted earlier today about his wife
who finds sweet tastes repulsive, so maybe there is something in sugar
that is a threat to her health????

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.
best wishes,
Ron