From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:06:48 -0500
Here's a good example of scary Western medicine versus paleo "medicine." A
few days ago, I noticed a red/sore area on my lower eyelid. Yesterday, I
went to the eye doc to have it checked out.  He said it was essentially a
plugged oil gland and that it could turn into a stye.  Therefore, he said
he wanted to treat it "aggressively" and prescribed antibiotic eye drops to
be used 3 times per day for up to 10 days.  I inquired what is the harm in
a stye IF a stye were to form -- I thought they were sort of like eye zits -
- and he said, they are like a pimple but it could get big.  I then said,
well, if it's like a pimple, aside from having to put up with the way it
looks for a little while, what would happen if I did nothing.  He said it
would likely just go away!  So I got home and did a little research on
styes and there is some thought in the complementary medicine community
that they are symptomatic of vitamin A definciency.  So I made 4 oz slab of
organic calves liver, cooked rare, with lots of fresh sage (kills the
livery taste which I don't care for) and low and behold, my eye is MUCH
better this morning.  Conicidence?  maybe -- but scary that I could be
pouring antibiotics into my eye for NO REASON. I'm going to make liver
again on Sunday.