Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:26:34 -0500
Siobhan wrote:
> Hi Mary,
>
> The best oils to add would be high-eructate rape or mustard oils.
> These
> help reduce the VLCFA in the system.>

Trish responded:

<<I would stay away from rape oil completely.  It is toxic to the system
and it such a thick oil. It is known as a penetrating oil and get thick
and gooey over time.  Imagine what it does to the inside of your body.
Trish>>

Here is the fatty acid profile for high-eructate rape seed oil:

Seed oil content : 41 / 43 %

C16:0 (palmitic) 2.7
 C18:0 (stearic) 1.1

 Total saturates 3.8
 C18:1 (oleic) 15
 C20:1 (gondoic) 11
 C22:1 (erucic) 48-52

 Total monounsaturates 76-86
 C18:2 (linoleic) 10.1
 C18:3 (alpha-linolenic) 5.1

 Total polyunsaturates 15.2

Naturally, one would use cold-pressed oils and not processed.  I think
before we assume something is harmful to a person with a rare disorder, we
need to understand the disorder first.  Olive oil, when processed and not
cold-pressed, is also toxic.

Siobhan