From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:16:44 -0500
Jim,

I like this book a great deal as well.  But I do wish that  there would
have been a few paragraphs about those who want to follow a totally  non-dairy
paleo style version.  Butter and cream and cheese are popular  items in the
traditional vlc adequate protein world as they minimize omega  6 while
easily enabling one to reach 70%+ fat in the diet without excessive  protein --
and the book's daily menu examples all include dairy in  one form or
another.  Yet in the 10 Clinical Pearls section -- it is  mentioned that
monosaturates should be favored, then saturates and that  reasonable efforts should be
made to avoid rich sources of omega  6.   Specifically, olive oil, high
oleic safflower oil and canola  oil are given as examples of fats to emphasize.
 I think  macadamia nut oil should have been mentioned. The section states
that saturated fats are considered OK and one doesn't need to trim the fats
off  poultry and meats.  However, if one is consuming chicken and pork  and
feedlot meats -- the fat would contain large amounts of omega  6. Also, do
not appear to actually emphasize monosaturates overall.  I  remain confused
as to why some vlc high fat adequate protein advocates claim  saturated fat
should be emphasized as the best fuel while other claim  monosaturates.  But
I would love to see a study comparing a vlc  adequate protein high
monosaturated fat diet versus a  vlc adequate  protein high saturated fat diet in
people who are at goal weight.

In a message dated 1/20/2012 11:51:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,