Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:24:32 -0400
For those who haven't already read it, I want to recommend Gary Taubes's
recently published book _Good Calories, Bad Calories_ (Knopf, 2007).
Subtitled "Challenging the conventional wisdome on diet, weight control,
and disease", it is, in my opinion, the most important book in this area
to appear in decades.  I think everyone on this list will appreciate it,
even though the subject matter is not stricly "paleo diet."  I think we're
all familiar with Taubes's articles, "The Soft Science of Dietary Fat" and
"What if it's all been a big fat lie?"  In this book, Taubes responds in
spectacular fashion to his critics by producing a meticulously researched
and lucidly argued rebuttal.  The text is 460 pages, plus 45 pages of
endnotes; and there is a 69-page bibliography of references to the
scientific literature.

Although the primary thesis of the book is familiar enough--the "diseases
of civilization" are caused by overindulgence in carbohydrates--Taubes
documents in vivid detail the science that led up to the discovery and how
it was derailed.

Todd Moody